We are searching data for your request:
Cats can poison themselves in various ways. You can eat toxins, lick them, inhale them or absorb them through the skin. Since you don't always keep an eye on your house tiger, you often don't even notice that your velvet paw has come into contact with something potentially toxic. That is why it is all the more important to know the symptoms with which poisoning manifests itself. The most obvious signs include cramps, paralysis, an insecure gait, foam at the mouth, or tremors.
Increased salivation and drowsiness are somewhat more difficult to recognize in cats. The general rule is: if your darling behaves differently than usual, if he is unusually excited or lethargic, then the alarm bells should ring for you! Glassy eyes, dilated or narrowed pupils can also be signs of poisoning. Also, if your cat is crying out in pain or hissing when you hug her, you should bring your pet to a veterinarian.
It also becomes difficult with symptoms such as diarrhea and vomiting. After all, choking up the stomach contents in cats is a protective reflex, for example to remove hair balls from the stomach. Here it comes down to the severity of vomiting. Also make sure that your cat behaves differently than usual. The vomit can provide another clue: if your velvet paw has poisoned itself with pesticides containing phosphorus, the vomit glows in the dark and smells of garlic.
If you suspect that your cat has been poisoned due to increased, severe vomiting, you should definitely consult a veterinarian. For quick diagnosis, it is helpful to take some of the vomit with you. Even if not every poisoning is associated with an acute danger to life: the sooner your darling is treated properly, the better.
Cat owners must be particularly careful that they do not have plants poisonous for cats in the home or ...